Runners, spectators and guests staying in the car-free village of Riederalp can reach the start line of the Aletsch Half-Marathon in Bettmeralp via the Aletsch Express. The buses run between Riederalp-West and the aerial cable car of Bettmeralp Bahnen. The Aletsch Express will be running extra services on the days of the event. Please note: there is limited capacity on the buses!
Click here to view the Aletsch Express timetable during the Aletsch Half-Marathon.
Even if you are travelling by car, you can still travel on the aerial cable car from Betten Talstation to Bettmeralp or from Mörel-Filet to Riederalp free of charge. All you need to do is register for an SBB Swiss Runners Ticket.
How to get here
The Aletsch Half-Marathon takes place at the heart of the Aletsch Arena, part of the UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch. The canton of Valais is easily accessible by either car or train.
Arriving by train
Travelling by train to the Aletsch Half-Marathon is not just safe and comfortable, it is also environmentally friendly. If you take advantage of the SBB’s Swiss Runners Ticket, you can benefit from a free return journey on public transport from anywhere in Switzerland.
Details for arrival by train:
- to Brig with SBB
- from Brig to Betten Talstation (approx. 12 km) with the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MBBahn)
- from Betten Talstation to the car-free village of Bettmeralp with the Bettmeralp aerial cable car
Swiss Runners Ticket
With this ticket, runners can travel to the Aletsch Half-Marathon or saturday races completely for free on public transport: the SBB Swiss Runners Ticket! Registered runners can get a free second-class return ticket (via GA areas of validity). The Swiss Runners Ticket is valid from a place of residence in Switzerland to the running event location and back. The free use of the aerial cable car from Betten Talstation to Bettmeralp or from Mörel-Filet to Riederalp is also included. Please note: the return ticket is only valid in combination with your race bib. Both need to be presented during an inspection. It is not possible to book at the ticket counter, using the ticket machines or via the SBB app.
Here is how to get your Swiss Runners Ticket:
- When you have registered for the Half-Marathon, you will receive two personal promotional codes (for outward and return journeys) together with the race card 13 days before the event.
- Enter your personal promotional codes at sbb.ch/ticketshop.
- Please note that your codes can only be redeemed online at sbb.ch/en/swissrunners. The code cannot be redeemed with the SBB Mobile app.
- Please complete the purchasing process the first time you enter the code.
- Print your free ticket for outward and return journey for second-class travel.
Validity of Swiss Runners Ticket:
The outward journey can take place between 12 and 21 June 2020 and the return journey from 21 June to 1 July 2020. More details will become available at sbb.ch/aletsch-halbmarathon from 1 April 2020. The Swiss Runners Ticket is valid for everyone who has registered for the Aletsch Half Marathon and/or the Saturday races.
Arriving by car
Participants can travel by car to the Aletsch Half-Marathon on good roads and/or part of the way on the car train direct to Betten Talstation. Here, there are sufficient parking spaces and a modern multi-storey car park. You then take the Bettmeralp aerial cable car from Betten Talstation and reach the car-free village of Bettmeralp in a matter of minutes.
Details on how to travel by car to Betten:
- from West Switzerland along Lake Geneva and through the Rhone valley
- from Italy via the Simplon Pass or by car train from Iselle
- from Germany via Basel, Bern, Thun, Kandersteg (Lötschberg car train)
- from Zurich or Lucerne towards Gotthard via the Furka Pass or via the Furka car train into the Rhone valley.