Runners, spectators and guests staying in the car-free village of Riederalp can reach the start line of the Aletsch Half-Marathon in Bettmeralp via the Aletsch Express. The buses run between Riederalp-West and the aerial cable car of Bettmeralp Bahnen. The Aletsch Express will be running extra services on the days of the event. Please note: there is limited capacity on the buses!
Click here to view the Aletsch Express timetable during the Aletsch Half-Marathon.
Even if you are travelling by car, you can still travel on the aerial cable car from Betten Talstation to Bettmeralp or from Mörel-Filet to Riederalp free of charge. All you need to do is register for an SBB Swiss Runners Ticket.
How to get here
The Aletsch Half-Marathon takes place at the heart of the Aletsch Arena, part of the UNESCO World Natural Heritage Site Swiss Alps Jungfrau-Aletsch. The canton of Valais is easily accessible by either car or train.
Arriving by train
Travelling by train to the Aletsch Half-Marathon is not just safe and comfortable, it is also environmentally friendly. If you take advantage of the SBB’s Swiss Runners Ticket, you can benefit from a free return journey on public transport from anywhere in Switzerland.
Details for arrival by train:
- to Brig with SBB
- from Brig to Betten Talstation (approx. 12 km) with the Matterhorn Gotthard Bahn (MBBahn)
- from Betten Talstation to the car-free village of Bettmeralp with the Bettmeralp aerial cable car
Swiss Runners Ticket
With this ticket, runners can travel to the Aletsch Half-Marathon completely for free on public transport: the SBB Swiss Runners Ticket! Registered runners can get a free second-class return ticket (via GA areas of validity). The Swiss Runners Ticket is valid from a place of residence in Switzerland to the running event location and back. The free use of the aerial cable car from Betten Talstation to Bettmeralp or from Mörel-Filet to Riederalp is also included. Please note: the return ticket is only valid in combination with your race bib. Both need to be presented during an inspection.
Here is how to get your Swiss Runners Ticket:
- When you have registered for the Half-Marathon, you will receive two personal promotional codes (for outward and return journeys) together with the race card 13 days before the event.
- Enter your personal promotional codes at sbb.ch/ticketshop.
- Please note that your codes can only be redeemed online at sbb.ch/ticketshop. The code cannot be redeemed with the SBB Mobile app.
- Please complete the purchasing process the first time you enter the code.
- Print your free ticket for outward and return journey for second-class travel.
Validity of Swiss Runners Ticket:
The outward journey can take place between 14 and 23 June 2019 and the return journey from 23 June to 2 July 2019. More details will become available at sbb.ch/aletsch-halbmarathon from 1 April 2019.
Arriving by car
Participants can travel by car to the Aletsch Half-Marathon on good roads and/or part of the way on the car train direct to Betten Talstation. Here, there are sufficient parking spaces and a modern multi-storey car park. You then take the Bettmeralp aerial cable car from Betten Talstation and reach the car-free village of Bettmeralp in a matter of minutes.
Details on how to travel by car to Betten:
- from West Switzerland along Lake Geneva and through the Rhone valley
- from Italy via the Simplon Pass or by car train from Iselle
- from Germany via Basel, Bern, Thun, Kandersteg (Lötschberg car train)
- from Zurich or Lucerne towards Gotthard via the Furka Pass or via the Furka car train into the Rhone valley.